Wednesday, January 10, 2007

 * In every volunteer’s service there are certain
objects that are of great importance. For some it
could be a music player or a solar battery charger.
Though I am speaking for myself , I have found
throughout the years that it is almost sure that
every one has had something.
Usually the item is something that has brought
comfort, relief and has been very very useful. As
everyone is different, so is every specific object
and for uniquely diverse reasons.
The lifestyle for a volunteer during his or her time can
probably best be described as that of a vagabond. We
live out of backpacks and in general live a more subdued
life than what we were accustomed to in the States. We
are encouraged to live similarly to the locals.
This can mean different things for each different country,
region, culture and environment.
I have been in the Peace Corps since September 2000
in two other countries prior to arriving here in Romania.
In El Salvador and Senegal I lived in villages without
electricity and running water. So for that, the object that
would be considered a favorite, useful or comforting
could be different than here. The reason being that here
I have electricity and running water.
So I could continue to say that the objects have changed
over the years. In El Salvador it was this or in Senegal it
was that. Or likewise here in Romania it is this.
Well, you know, I can’t say that, the justification being
that the object that has been the most useful and comforting,
has actually been the same from that first day in 2000.
The object that has brought me the most is in the picture below.



It is a fleece pullover that my daughter bought me
for a birthday present in 2000.
This object has been my companion from the moment
I left the States for my Peace Corps assignment. It has
been as it was designed to be … a pullover. It has been
there on those rare cold nights in El Salvador and Senegal.
It has been a quick solution when a blanket is too much
and nothing is not enough. It has been the blanket I used
when I slept in a hammock in El Salvador. It has been
my blanket on trains and buses.
In Senegal it was my pillow for 29 months. You can see
below the form it takes when used as a pillow.



Here in Romania so far the weather hasn’t been extremely
cold so it has been my winter jacket, so to speak.
I do have another 18 months left and I am sure baring
any catastrophes that this fleece will continue to serve me
in the impeccable manner that I have been accustomed to.
In a vagabond lifestyle there usually isn’t very many
things that one can have. I also do agree with the Buddhist
teaching that attachment is the origin of suffering.
I do sound like I am attached to my fleece and in reality
anyone who has had contact with me, could believe it.
But I do know that some day it will be gone and I will make
room for another object. As life changes so does ‘number one’
on the priority list of must haves.
Despite that I do have to say that this fleece will always have
a special place in my heart and mind. It has been with me
from the very first day. Thru all the good times and bad
times, it has been there with me, my uncomplaining friend.
It has kept me warm and it has been the sure thing that
I could lay my weary head on.
We all have those objects that are important and valuable.
For me it is a simple fleece pullover which I would have to
recommend as a staple in the life of a Peace Corps vagabond.

No comments: