Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am kind of happy

As I mentioned in many other prior articles, I've
been participating and interested in the town's
Roma Dance Troupe.

I really pushed for the Roma Community to have a full
time active dance troupe. From my other experiences
in the other countries I knew that more important than
the activity itself ... was participation.

When I arrived no one in the Roma community
wanted to get involved in anything of that nature.
The poor Roma man that I've worked with must have
wanted to kill me as almost daily I would bug the
heck out of him ... we need a dance troupe
... we need a dance troupe.

Finally after being persistant the Dance Troupe
organized and now they are pretty much full time.
They don't practice consistently but they are
available as the events continue to trickle in.

I must say with pride that the town's Roma dance troupe
is one of the better ones' around. I could just imagine if
they would practice 2 or 3 times a week without taking
time off. But I don't want to push any more as they need
to manage it themselves at this point. I am seeing that
the Troupe is getting regular invitations.

At the moment they are in the middle of practicing
to go on the 6th of December to Hungary to participate
in a minority festival.

For me, as I go to watch the practice session and with
two weeks left here in town ... well ... I am happy to see
that the Troupe has come along. I see that there is a
person willing to take the responsibility of running
the Dance Troupe. I see dancers who've come a long
way during the last year. They have not only improved
their dance skills they have a new 'air' of confidence
and willingness to participate. This is exactly
what my goal was when pushing for the Troupe.

It wasn't just the dancing, it was to find a person willing to
take the lead. It was also to develop the young dancers
confidence and character that only comes with getting out
and seeing new places and meeting new people.

I am very lucky to have been able to see this before leaving.

No comments: