Thursday, September 04, 2008

An Anniversary

On the 5th of September will be 8 years since I
entered the Peace Corps. It was the 5th of September
2000 that all my bags were packed and it was off
for unknown experiences and adventures.

It has been more than I imagined it could be.
 There has been extreme lows and
highs. If a person loves and needs challenges.
Then this is the place to be.

I thought a little bit about this article before beginning
to beat on the keyboard. At first I was going to
go into story after story.
One of success followed by one of defeat. I realized
that to try and put 8 years of living in three
different countries with 3 different cultures and
all the stories that come from that into a blog
entry would be impossible.

I just don't know how I ever would have been
able to be where I've been, seen the things
that I've seen, if it hadn't been for the Peace Corps.

The advantage is living in a community for a
few years. It allows you to really know people and the
bonds that are created, are the prize.

I just feel so blessed to be able to be with the people
when they are talking about their thoughts and dreams.
All this in other countries and other languages.

I thought that I would show you some of the people
that's been a part of my life over these years. Each
one unique and special and they all have a place
in my heart. They've been my friends and accepted
me as Paul ... which is all I want.

So without further adieu ... I'll start with the
people from El Salvador ...


This is Osmin and he spent 8 years in the Salvadoran special
forces during their 12 year war from 1980 to 1992.
He was the unofficial village leader, a good man who cared.



Above is Mr. Jose, he was my best friend and had a little
tienda (grocery store) where I used to hang out and drink
coffee. We would talk all the time and he was also a fun
guy to hang with.

Next from Senegal is ...



Demba, my village counterpart ... the village doesn't know
how lucky they are to have him. When a lot of capable
people head out for Europe and more money, he stayed
to fight for his village. He is a tireless worker.

And below is Demba's wife Fatoumata ...



In the Pulaar - Fulakunda language they have a word ...
'kalabante' ... which means - kind of a wise guy/wisecracker.
Fatou was all of that and more, this lady is as funny
as can be. She loves to laugh and ... man ... what laughs
we had.

Then now from Romania is ...



Ioli my counterpart. She is really an incredibly open person
who is progressive thinking. She told me many stories of
the life here in town during Ceaucescu's time.

And the last person is ...



Stefan Farkas the Roma man that is involved with
the Roma Dance Troupe. If you've read some of the
more recent articles you'll recognize him and the
activities we've been working on.

Well, these have been the main players over the years.
There have been many many more. From villagers
in El Salvador to Senegal to the town people here.

One thing they all have in common, is together
we fought for the bettering of their lives.
From standing in the fields at night with Osmin and
watching millions of fire flies while discussing solutions
to the most pressing problems ... to ... fighting against
health problems with Demba in Senegal ... to ...
fighting to develop new teaching methods with Ioli
in Romania ... to ... last but not least, the battle to 
establish the Roma Dance Troupe with Stefan ... it 
has  been one battle after another. But these people 
are all fighters and assets to their people.

There has also been equally as many Peace Corps
Volunteers I've met over the years ...
all wanting to make a difference.

As for me ... it has been such an intense time in 
my life. Everyday there is a new challenge and 
something new to learn.

At the time of this writing I have a little over three
months left here in Romania and I am looking
forward to going to Namibia early next year.

I am ready.

1 comment:

Bene said...

What a nice tribute to the people that made a difference for you and for the lives of others.